Macro Counting

It's January 16 today and studies show that most people have already broken their New Years resolution... Did you break yours? If you did I'm here to help!

If you have been reading this blog religiously you know that I'm so into counting my calories but what most of you also don't know is that I count my fat, protein, and carbohydrate count as well. Some might find it easier to do rather than counting calories because it allows you to eat what you want as long as it fits your macros. (#iifym on insta-G) 

It's really easy once you get the hang of it, I'll show you an example of how it works for me then if you're interested you can leave a comment on this page and tell how many meals you have a day. I'll get back to you ASAP with a chart on how many grams of fat, protein, and carb you need. 

                                                      MACRO NUTRIENT CHART
                                                                4 meals per meal

This is my macro chart it's actually really easy to understand as long as you have the app myfitnesspal (and again I mention this app, it is essential if you have a smartphone!) So let's say I want to have 6 pieces of chicken nuggets and large fries from Mc Donald's am I allowed to have it? Hellzzz ya as long as it fits in my macros... So let's get the breakdown of this wonderful meal I'm about to have

Sample Lunch Meal:
6 piece chicken Mc Nuggets
Calories: 276 
Fat: 17.4 grams
Carb: 16.2 grams
Protein: 14.4 grams

Large Fries
Calories: 440
Fat: 21 grams
Carb: 56
Dietary Fiber: 5 grams
Protein: 5

Total
Calories: 716
Fat: 38.4 grams
Carb: 72.2
Protein: 19.4 grams

Remaining
Calories: 484
Fat: 8
Carb: 7 
Protein: 96.6

Hahaha are all these numbers intimidating??? It's relatively easy to understand. K let me try to explain in the best way possible! I basically just added up each macro nutrient to get my remaining, the remaining numbers are the only macros I can eat since I already used up most of it for that UNHEALTHY calorific meal!!!! The remaining macros tell me how much left I have to eat for the rest of the day. Since I already finished most of my calories on that one meal alone, I'll probably use the rest of my calories for a protein filled dinner like 2 grilled chicken breasts (2 grilled chicken breasts are about 260 calories; 6 grams of fat; 0 carb; 52 grams of protein) and half a cup of steamed brocolli (27 calories; .3 grams of fat; 5.6 grams of carb; 1.9 grams of protein) so that it still fits in my macro count. It differs for everyone though I try to eat 1,200 calories per day some of you weigh more and for sure most of you are taller than me so you could be eating 1,300-1,800 or some of you could be trying to gain, bulk, tone etc. so this chart of mine isn't made for you. 

Hope this blog post helped you a bit and if you want to know more about macro counting don't be shy to message me, I'd be more than happy to help. I am not a certified nutritionist (yet!) so this is what works for me, it might work differently for you so remember to get your proper calorie and macro count before attempting this. 

Also, this way of eating is for more advanced people who are able to control what they eat! If you are able to say no to sweets and other processed and refined foods then by all means you are ready to do macro counting but if you were somewhat like me (sweets everyday, calamansi shake with salt 2x a day) then let's stick to clean eating for the first month :) We should also try to avoid eating like this everyday of course. 2 days a week is good or on special occasions. Remember: Moderation is key!

P.S. I am getting my nutrition certificate in about 8 weeks time! Wish me luck another check off my bucket list :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.